I don't think there's a set-top box involved.

Surely it's just early discussions to try to achieve a single
downloading architecture across all the UK broadcasters?

At the moment I have to download one app. for the BBC, another for
4od, another for Sky Anytime and goodness knows what for Five, ITV or
any other broadcaster. And they're not all necessarily compatible.

A single solution would be sensible in the long run.