Paul Daniel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Al Petfield
Sent: 25 July 2007 17:47
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] who to ask? weather feeds: why is the "explanation
of the symbols" not used consistently

there is a fair amount of duplication not sure why this might be
2.gif and 7.gif for instance.
perhaps they have different alpha transparencies?

Jonathan,

The BBC weather icons dovetail with the Met Office ones [1] but the Met
Office have different icons for weather events at night to those during the
day and the BBC don't make that distinction.

2.gif corresponds to HYPERLINK
"http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/images/symbols/w2x15.gif"http://www.met
office.gov.uk/weather/images/symbols/w2x15.gif - Partly cloudy (night)
7.gif corresponds to HYPERLINK
"http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/images/symbols/w7x15.gif"http://www.met
office.gov.uk/weather/images/symbols/w7x15.gif - Medium-level cloud

A curious thing: the two sets don't completely tally - the BBC's 32.gif is
Hazy, in the Met Office's set they don't have a 32 but they do have 33 which
is Haze.

Best wishes,

Al

[1] HYPERLINK