I just bumped into this while looking at all the domains that Google owned! :-p I didn't recognise .tk (belongs to three small islands off New Zealand, 12 square miles of land!).

Is seems they are giving away free domains (forwarding) to anyone that wants them! Not only that but a few days ago they released an API that allows programmers to create accounts for their users!

More details at:
  http://www.dottkapi.tk/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tk

Not sure what actual real world use is but thought I would post it!

Dan