That doesn't work as they are sending a PNG file to all browsers which is pointless as i might as well just not bother.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/Svg_example3.svg/467px-Svg_example3.svg.png

Okay, so SVG is great for resizing image, but for icons i can't see any advantage of having them working when 80% of the time you would need to send an Jpeg/Gif/PNG image.

I currently have to spend enough time working around bugs in all the browsers, i don't really want to add another problem to the mix.

Quoting Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Wikipedia can do it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Svg_example3.svg

On 02/09/07, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is there a backend render that can be used instead when there is no
plugin?  Best of both worlds then...

On 02/09/07, Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> It is really worth the BBC using SVG Graphics when at least 80% of
> internet users are unable to view them.  Currently there doesn't
> appear to be a SVG viewer for IE.
>
> Adam
>
> Quoting "~:'' ????????????" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Kathryn,
> >
> > back from holiday myself, perhaps you are too?
> > awaiting your response on both these issues:
> >
> >       the discrepancy between symbols and labels on the feed
> >
> >       where are the BBC's SVG weather icons and might the RSS feeds
> use them?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Jonathan Chetwynd
> >

> > On 25 Jul 2007, at 15:33, ~:'' ???????????? wrote:
> >
> > Kathryn,
> >
> > thanks for your prompt and encouraging replies**
> >
> > the weather gifs are poor imitations of original artwork that is
> almost
> > certainly produced and available in SVG format*.  It may be that the
> > BBC doesn't own the original artwork, if so who does?
> >
> > For relatively little overhead the BBC's RSS feed could add links to
> > the original SVG art.
> >
> > almost everything I publish is public domain, however my SVG feed
> > viewer is currently offline.
> > due to the relatively long delays these matters can have, I produced
> my
> > own SVG weather symbols set.
> >
> > the BBC might even beat me and provide the "first" SVG feed.
> > well I have been asking, and yet to find or be pointed to one ~:"
> >

> > best wishes
> >
> > Jonathan Chetwynd
> >
> > *The benefit being that a similar size file is fully scaleable and far
> > more attractive. Opera, Mozilla and Safari display SVG natively, that
> > is without a plugin. http://www.peepo.co.uk is one example of SVG.
> >

> > On 25 Jul 2007, at 11:38, Kathryn Schmitt wrote:
> >
> > Hello there,
> >
> > 'Tis I.  We don't have any SVG icons.  Do you mean the gif images of
> > weather symbols used on the 5 day forecast pages?  Feel free to
> contact
> > me off list with your answer...I doubt this conversation is of general
>
> > interest to the list.
> >
> > As for the descrepancy between symbols and labels on the feed, I will
> > investigate.
> >
> > Best,
> > Kass
> >
> > Kathryn Schmitt
> > Senior Developer
> > BBC Weather Centre
> > 2026 Television Centre
> > T: 020 82259448
> > M: 0771 7582482
> >
> > www.bbc.co.uk/weather
> > www.bbc.co.uk/climate

Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
www.ukfree.tv