oops hit reply direct to you Brian, meant to reply to the list -
apologies

________________________________

From: Simon Cobb
Sent: 06 September 2007 12:45
To: 'Brian Butterworth'
Subject: RE: [backstage] 50 designers 6 questions

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Though I thought as it was titled "Ten pieces of advice for old media
<http://www.badscience.net/?p=512> " the blanket ban on use of Flash
(point 9) was an odd one.

Certainly I'd agree that flash could be "slow to load" and it would
definitely be "irritating to browse" when providing text-based
newspaper/ magazine content.

But if you're a TV company offering promo clips and/ or interactive
video content embedded on your page, surely Flash is the natural choice?

This is Flash's problem in 2007 as I see it. Years of gimmickery have
tainted what Flash has become really good at:

video
interactive video
image rendering and transforming
and to provide all that with the potential of a lovely interface on top.

Plus since Flash neatly sidesteps any cross-browser issues, any lazy web
dev/designer can put their content into it and know it looks the same in
every browser. Regardless of how approriate that content is for flash.

Rant over.