On 11/1/07, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 01/11/2007, Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > sharing artistic works is NOT a
> > central tenet of friendship.
>
> Of course it is. You can't possibly be friends with someone unless you
> copy stuff off them. I mean how could you possible be a friend due to
> things like shared interests, conversation or any other social
> activities. Did you not know nobody in the world had friends till the
> dawn of Internet File Sharing, they all sat around on there one
> speaking to no one. It wasn't until file sharing that friendship
> existed how could you not know that?
>
> (^^ I would hope I don't need to point this out but that was meant
> sarcastically.)
>
> Seriously if all your friendships are based solely on what "artistic"
> material you can acquire from a friend I think you might need to
> reconsider your concept of friendship.
>
> Anyone who knows me, (and most of the people on this list as well ;))
> would know that I am certainly not the most pro-copyright person
> around. And yet even I disagree with the statement that friendship is
> based on file sharing.
>

> Of course media does have an impact on friendship. I watch DVDs I
> legally own with friends. Of course they are getting access to the
> media content and aren't paying anything, but *severely* doubt that is
> the kind of sharing that Rich is objecting to.

Good grief.  Andy and I agree on something.  :)

> > Suggesting they should
> > do smething else to finance making more music (which you'll then copy
> free
> > of charge) is also, frankly, patronising.
>
> Are you saying people shouldn't suggest alternative business models,
> or are you saying his are patronizing, or are you saying that just
> because someone can present an alternative revenue stream it doesn't
> alter the morality of copying?

The latter.

Surely a rational business must at least consider alternative models
> for making revenue.

Absolutely. Few people would disagree that the way people "consume" music
and films is a constantly changing process, and over the last few years the
rate of that change has increased massively.

For some bands it's no possible for them to run their own affairs to a much
greater extent than in the past, running the band as a business as opposed
to just being an artist working for and being paid by a record company.
However, for some bands, this isn't an option, and the "traditional" model
will very often work better.  To quote the Broken Family Band in the
Guardian (http://tinyurl.com/23xn6f);

"I'll bet that without Razorlight they'd all be f***ed for jobs. I wouldn't
let Johnny Borrell do my photocopying."

:-)

Right - let's move on.

Cheers,