Apologies if this is slightly off topic but I have been googling on and off since last year, found nothing and you lot are the best people I know to ask!

I'm looking for an open source video streaming server & browser based video client for the video finish of a charity marathon I run.

I'm already using Helix Server for streaming the video although I could change that if required. I'm using Real video for the stream and I guess it's the having to ask users to download and install Real Player that's harsh. While Real is very good at simultaneous multi-bitrate streaming it's anything but open and I know plenty of people that refuse to install Real Player not to mention to vulnerabilities!

It would be great to have the video window in the browser so the user didn't have to download anything (e.g. VLC) but I think that just leaves Flash(!?) which is also not open (although people are at least used to video in Flash).

The BIG requirement though is that the client can understand/replicate SMIL information as the video is stored on the server as a single 1GB file and different users are streamed different 20 second clips based on the time they went over the finish line. Can Flash even do that?

Any help appreciated.

Dan

P.S. I'm using the term Open Source as a indication of the ideal, I'm a fan of open source so I would like to use it with free software being the next choice but as this is a charity marathon we have no money to throw at commercial software.