Unfortunately it turned out to not be a cab file after all, that's why I'm still trying to find out more (see below) :-/

Thanks though

Dan

On 11/03/2008 15:07, Sean DALY was seen to type:
Dan - have you tried Stuart Caie's cabextract?

I have used it on OSX to extract a single file from a .CAB package.