> > You basically have to send the exact same headers that an iPhone does,
> > along with the BBC-UID. Fortunately someone emailed me a plain-text
> > log of successful requests sniffed from his iPhone.
> > I've used curl instead of wget this time as it gives you finer
> > granularity of control over headers.
> > [snip]
>
> Hello.
>
> I'm a BBC senior manager; but posting personally as a fan of Backstage.
>
> It puts us (those that care about Backstage) in a really difficult position
> if it's used to share information on ways to get around content-restrictions
> on a BBC service.
>
> I don't want to see the end of the Backstage unmoderated mailing list.
> Posting this type of information threatens its future.
>
> Please don't. Anywhere else. Just not here.

Righto. I'd have to admit to being a little bit unsure about where the
line is between hacking BBC content for the purposes of mashups etc,
which is encouraged (and there are commercial sites using BBC content
in this manner) and hacking BBC content just to display it on a device
other than the one that it was specifically (and let's not forget,
charter-breakingly) designed to run on.

Where is the line here? What's special about the iPlayer? I don't see
anyone being warned for aggregating BBC radio podcasts or pulling in
weather data to their own sites.

Why is it OK for me to watch a non-DRM'd BBC programme on a 3.5 inch
iPhone screen but not a 32 inch TV screen off my XBox?

Call me a crusty old traditionalist but all this is about as far as
I'm concerned is watching TV shows on an actual TV in my living room,
not on a phone in Starbucks or on a monitor in my office. Is that
really crazy talk? Does the brave new world of content streaming mean
I don't get to sit on my sofa any more?

Cheers,
Iain