>       Now, given all the talk of cross-format rights, international
rights, the 2D
> footprint etc... How does the Beeb think that they're going to be able
to offer
> rightsholders geographical certainty as to where footage of sporting
events, football,
> the F1 - the Olympics also comes to mind, remembering the last
Olympics' coverage -
> will be viewable? the 2A south footprint is Europe-wide
> (http://www.astrosat.info/FAQs/Footprints/footprints.html)... This
doesn't mean N24 is
> going encrypted, does it?
>
>       FTA, on 2A... Good for the common sense movement, but I'm almost
wondering as to
> whether the rightsholders even know about this yet! We already have
the blanking when
> some sports stuff is shown on the live news simulcasts, surely N24
isn't just going to
> blank the nation's screens every time sports footage is shown?
>       If not, how has the Beeb wangled this? (and can they do the same
for other
> content?)

Well I don't know why News 24 moved to 2A, but I expect the logic goes
like this:

News 24 is a news station, and therefore doesn't buy broadcast rights
for particular events.  But does relay coverage of rights related
programming (e.g. Olympics, Football) as part of its news bulletins.
The kind of footage broadcast on News 24 would also be needed for BBC
World - the BBC's global news channel.  Ergo, if the BBC is in a
position to broadcast the footage on BBC World, then there isn't going
to be an issue broadcasting it on News 24 to the whole planet (or at
least world covered by the 2A footprint!) either.

IIRC, anyone outside the UK can view online streaming of News 24 via the
website too.