Dave Crossland wrote:
2008/5/2 Tim Dobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
simon wrote:
Adobe is removing restrictions on the use of the SWF and FLV/F4V
specifications says Aral Balkan: http://aralbalkan.com/1332

Interesting, I thought.
I'll be interested to get Dave Crossland's perspective on this.

Adobe's dominance in this area of computing is being challenged in two
ways - by Microsoft (Silverlight) and GNU (Gnash) - so they are taking
evasive action to try and maintain their dominance.

Does Gnash really challenge Adobe? Any more than Wine, Samba, dotgnu or Mono seriously challenge Microsoft/Windows dominance? I'm pretty skeptical. OK that's over polite. I think you're mistaken.

Rather it reinforces a classic argument "but it's an open standard! the spec is (now) out there, ... and look ... Gnash ... there are multiple implementations, even opensource ones."

On top of that, things are set up for an equally classic "you've tried the rest now try the best" argument. If you've committed to Flash, best to use the real thing eh? Users have a choice now: they can get an implementation from the leaders or from the followers. (not my view but a natural spin on things)

I see vastly more pressure on Adobe from Silverlight, and from the return of HTML/.js post-Ajax. As W3C explores addition of <video> and more to HTML, the special benefit of embedding these alien objects in Web pages begins to shrink. Gnash is - don't get me wrong - a great project. But this isn't some David/Goliath triumph.

What evidence do you see pointing to Gnash threatening Adobe?

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/