Ryan Morrison wrote:
> You say "Didn't the Trust tell the BBC to produce download clients for other
> platforms as soon as possible?" But didn't the Trust also set the conditions
> for DRM?

It doesn't say how secure the DRM has to be.
And security wise it doesn't really need to be secure at all. After all
the Beeb are blasting the programs out of transmitters, in digital form,
at higher quality. Security is defined by "weakest link". So as long as
you make some small effort you're fine, you can't lower the security any
more than it is now because their is none.

The BBC keeps saying "we need someone to write DRM for us", stop being
such a bunch of lazy people and do it yourself. Helpfully the BBC
pre-knows all the restrictions they want (so no need to actually encode
the rights data ;)).

A *very* simple method:

1. Assign client software a key or set of keys (symmetric or asymmetric
doesn't really matter)
2. Take MP4* file prepend the files broadcast date(s).
3. Chose random symmetric encryption key
4. Cypher that data
5. Prepend a copy of the symmetric key encrypted with each client
encryption key
6. Client decrypts with it's key and checks the broadcast date, if it's
over 7 days old it refuses to play.
7. Job done, go to nearest pub (additionally actually test the software ;))

C = E_c1(k),E_c2(k),...,E_cN(k),E_k(T,P)
Where C_x donates encryption under key x.
c1,c2 to cN represents client keys 1 2 and N (repeat as needed)
k is the item (or episode key)
P is the item (or episode)
T is the broadcast timestamp

Decryption is left as an exercise for the reader^.

As long as you don't use a Stream cypher the user will need to know the
items key to tamper with the broadcast date, and if they have that key
they can decrypt anyway!

Might want to use some more complex method for encoding rights data.

Weakness is the client key or item key could be compromised, but all DRM
schemes have this weakness.

It's stronger than plaintext so no less secure the Digital TV.

Could probably code that in a few days (provided you have some kind of
cryptography library available)

* or any other format.
^ if you really can't work out how to do it then ask, but you really
should have at least one person capable of understanding this

> The point here isn't so much that someone has made a download client but has
> made a download client that allows for the download of DRM free iPlayer files
> - which is against the terms the BBC have agreed for the iPlayer (I think
> that's right).

The point is the BBC could have added a very simple DRM scheme and have
done the same thing.

> Whether you agree with that or not - it is simple fact.

Haven't seen the rights that the BBC have agreed. But if it says
"Windows DRM Only" I would strongly suspect that the agreement may be
illegal, particularly given EU vs Microsoft's ruling about tying. Would
the BBC care to show us all this alleged document that is tying their
hands?

> And Jem isn't trying to censor the internet - just asking that you talk about
> 'getting around the DRM on iPlayer files' somewhere that isn't run by the BBC.

Trying to restrict discussion of certain topics isn't censorship? What
precisely do you call it then?

Andy