James,

Thanks for the information.  I'm always interested to hear about how the
systems work.

I'm particularly pleased to hear that the encoding will happen from the full
bitrate sources in the future.  Aside from not having any service drop-outs
and improved monitoring it can only hope that the sound quality will be
notably better.

Obviously I'm hoping that everything that's on the iPlayer Radio will come
as MP3s and the existing podcasts will be better quality (I would personally
prefer a VBR stereo "In Our Time" than the current mono one).

It's probably way, way too late to ask for this, but how about having
pre-compression (audio compression that is) versions of BBC Radio 3 and
1Xtra as, at least, an option.  I can listen to my classical and drum n bass
at home with their piano to forte range, would be great to have the same
range from BBC radio.  I understand why DAB and FM need to have the analogue
audio compression, but a "clear" version online would be cheap and satisfy
the audiophiles.

I realise that backstage isn't the best way to report faults...  it just
seems every time you report a fault via the "correct" route you don't get a
notification for (what seems like) ages.

Also I'm pleased to hear that the word "open" is being used in BBC circles -
and without being an expletive (I presume).

Anyway, congratulations on bringing BBC online radio to the next level!