> The only problem with sending an entirely plain text email
> is when you get into the world of stats.

Well, that's a marketer's problem, and as an end user I don't care, I
want information in a way I can use it. For the past eight years, the
FNAC in France has cheerfully sent me a fat rich HTML newsletter every
week which I can't read, and their so-called "feedback" doesn't
function; every year I ask them for a plaintext version, every year I
get no response. I'd like to see their data report that shows a loyal
customer having spent over 22K roros these past fifteen years
(including online purchases with plain text e-mail communication
option) who doesn't bounce their marketing e-mails, yet never "reads"
them nor "clicks" on them. I'm sure such a report doesn't include the
messages I take the time to type & send them.

I work for a big company and in the past managed hosting for a few
dozen websites which included e-mail marketing. Invariably, low
clickthrough rates were related to unreadable messages. We sent lots
of plain text e-mails with "click here for rich version" URLs,
occasionally personalized. Although there was lots of talk about
targeting and personalization, we had the most success when we merely
concentrated on getting people to the site, then analysed the site
visit data. Nontechnical anecdotal studies (focus groups) found that
many e-mails were forwarded to friends & family, which of course would
render any analysis of personalized URLs useless. On the other hand,
watching generally which portions of the site had high visit rates
immediately following e-mail campaigns was fruitful and far simpler to
compile & report & communicate internally. Product launches had TVC,
print, OOH, and POS support too, so really all we had to do was to try
to find a correlation between a newsletter and increased traffic. One
of my successors told me about a curious case: a visit spike which
correlated to an e-mail, but coming from another country; it turned
out an influential blogger had gotten the e-mail and cut & pasted an
e-mail link onto her blog.

Sean.