Graham Donaldson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote at 10:47 on 2008-06-06:

> Matt Barber wrote:
> > Can't you send all traffic through port 80/443 anyway, using the proxy
> > transparently to filter traffic. You could then allow the Kontiki traffic in
> > the proxy ruleset?
>
> The proxies don't operate in transparent mode.  I'm aware of some cache
> appliances for schools that do, like Bloxx for example, but most don't.
[snip]
> Even so it's less than ideal - proxy use in school's and corporate
> environments is defacto, and yet so many modern apps seem to be completely
> unaware of them.

It's been awhile since I last played with transparent proxying, but IIRC
the proxy itself doesn't have to know that it's being given intercepted
traffic rather than being connected to directly by clients and the
router configuration needed to set up the redirection of 80 and 443 to
the proxy is only a couple of lines. This being the case it's probably
easier to fix your network configs than every application a user might
wish to run.

That said, the lack of configuration available to Kontiki users is a
pain in the neck. I know several people who've uninstalled it because
its non-adjustable upload was crippling their asymmetric cable/ADSL
connections by delaying ACKs.