But why does  the bbc not provide the service?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Christopher Woods" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:35:19
To: <backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk>
Subject: RE: [backstage] MHEG-5 Wimbledon on Freesat?

The BBC is legal, Zattoo isn't?

Of course, this debate depends on how you interpret your definition of
illegal broadcast! Zattoo is, they argue, merely rebroadcasting the channels
in territories that can already receive them via other platforms (cable, DTV
etc). This they argue is entirely legal.

If people are up in arms about it, I find it puzzling that (unless I'm
mistaken or I missed something) no broadcaster has come forward as of yet,
to declare that they do not wish for their channels to be rebroadcast on the
Zattoo platform. I'm personally in favour of Zattoo continuing, it's very
handy as a fallback if the atmospherics aren't in my favour so my DTV signal
breaks up (yeah, it's THAT bad sometimes!)