Simon Thompson wrote:
> The GOP length is the number of frames between successive I-Frames.  A
> long GOP length will, for example, cause a delay on video appearing on
> changing channels on a STB or, as editing cuts can only start from an
> I-Frame will mean you can't do frame accurate editing.

I disagree with "can't" - the Sony XDCAM EX1 is a serious camera
intended for broadcast use that uses long-GOP MPEG2. However, editing is
indeed harder since the software needs to be clever about how it handles
the content. You potentially have to decode a fair number of frames to
show the one you want, and (unless re-rendering) you need to keep up to
the previous I-frame before any edits made in your source material
throughout the editing process.

Final transcoding is awkward too. If you intend to output to another
MPEG-2 then you either have to totally re-render the content to have new
I-frames (but with associated quality losses) or attempt to piece
together the original GOPs for the edit, only generating new sections
around edit points.

The majority of production houses [1] are still using I-frame based
systems - DV/Digibeta/HDCAM - but with the current trends towards
MPEG2-based formats - HDV/P2 - it is going to be interesting to see how
different types cope with the issues of non-I-frame editing. Some
long-timeframe productions will have the opportunity to re-render to a
I-frame format at ingest (typically MJPEG), others (current affairs /
sports) will have to deal with the formats throughout their workflows as
they are.

-jeremy

[1] Televisual Aug '08 Production Survey (Current usage: 70% Digibeta,
68% DV, 49% HDV, 45% HDCAM)