Brian Butterworth wrote:
> This one, can't go around praising a document and not linking to it,
> terrible form...
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp169.shtml

There was a cinema standard that called Showscan that ran at 60 instead
of 24fps for similar reasons. And IMAX do a thing called IMAX HD that
runs at 48fps. These systems both require a lot of lighting, and a lot
of film stock to shoot, so I don't think they are likely to be popular,
except in special cases like theme-park ride-films.

I wonder if highly shuttered video produces better results on TVs that
do motion compensated 100Hz stuff. E.g. if you delivered them 25p but
with the shutter open for 10ms rather than 40ms, they will be able to
make a much better job of the motion compensation, producing something
very close to true 100Hz video, but with no need for extra bandwidth or
changes to the transmission chain over what we have already. Should
broadcasters consider shooting with this kind of TV in mind?

Another thought I had was what about capturing motion separately to the
picture, at a lower spatial, but higher temporal resolution. Perhaps
using a strobed infra-red ilumination to generate smething like MPEG P &
B frames, and a full colour camera to generate I frames at a low frame rate.

Robert (Jamie) Munro