On 08/12/2008 14:06, "Rich Vazquez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Interesting point of debate.
>> This logic says that it is possible only to have an opinion if you speak the
>> language of the country that you have a though about.
>> This is just silly, I can like a part of Wales without speaking Welsh!
>
> [snipped]
>
> If we were to ask Iraqis their experience since Saddam Hussein's fall,
> would it be best to do ask in English, Spanish or Arabic?

Ideally all three? Simon Batistoni from Flickr has written a really
interesting paper covering communities, language, machine translation and
the web [1]. For me, it's inspiring that Flickr are seeing
Internationalisation as part of their business model and not leaving it as
one for the academics to ponder. As Joel Spolsky says in his classic article
on Unicode [2] it's really not that hard to manage multilingual content, you
just need to know that's what you want to do from the outset.

Back here at the Beeb, there are many systems and support for
Internationalisation varies between them. The World Service and Welsh
language departments have done a lot to promote language development work
and given the multi-headed monster that is most software development, things
are moving along.

Gavin

[1] http://2008.xtech.org/public/schedule/detail/534
[2] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html