I could be wrong, but my guess is that this episode had some pretty
heavy compliance forms to fill in. Plenty of documentary films about
nefarious stuff have filmed people doing nefarious stuff when they
could have waded in to stop it.. It is a grey area for legal I'm sure.
But my initial reaction to this is to ask whether as a tech community
we are going to jump on the BBC for making a programme about the
dangers of botnets and using one in a controlled fashion, or maybe ask
some hard questions about how botnets get financed and are able to
bank the money they earn?

all the best,
martin

--