I, too, stand corrected. Thanks Gordon.

It's interesting that some of the most evil stuff I have dealt with,
and this example too, comes from an unusual vector.

I managed to avoid the Sony BMG rootkit since I don't listen to music
on my old PC (that Amerie disc is still on my shelf waiting to infect
any Windows machine it runs on). But last year a video game called
Perimeter installed an awful rootkit called SecuROM on that PC, and
while trying to restore the system to a healthful state Windows was
broken and at this point only launches in 256 colors with the vanilla
VGA driver. I've been booting it into full color with kubuntu since,
until I take an hour to swap the disk and install a proper OS.

Sean.