Annecdotally, I think I've found that the stability of the flash plugin has greatly improved for me since upgrading to 9.04. That said, I use Opera.

Matt

On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:12:42 +0100, Andy <stude.l...@googlemail.com> wrote:

2009/5/28 Tim Dobson <li...@tdobson.net>:
Anyone got any ideas here? It might be Ubuntu or Flash on Ubuntu related but
any thoughts would be welcome. :)

When I open the link specified I get the following error message:
Could not find an appropriate hxplay or realplay in the system path
to use as an embedded player

Oddly part of the page is actually Flash.
If it helps the Flash App identifies itself as:
BBC Media Player v.2.12.8812.8903

FF Version is 3.0.10
Ubuntu 8.10
Flash Version (according to about:plugins)
    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

It is NOT in low quality mode either.

I have tried a different programme, still launched from /programmes
and it plays (but the Flash player crashed when I click the name of
the player, but it didn't happen once I rebooted, odd). Of note is the
fact then with the working stream (i.e. Flash not Real), the Flash
player displays the PID and media type in the right click menu,
(b00kgfb0 | aac | LI),however he stream that tries to launch real
fails. (although I have Real player installed at some point).

I have also observed this problem after launching the programme in
iplayer directly (i.e. not the popout version):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kkdkm/The_Michael_Bentine_Show_22_05_2009/

In the source to that page is the following Javascript:
iplayer.semp.setMetaFiles({
                flash: {
                        playlist: "",
                        mp3: false,
                        aac: false
                },
real: "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/aod/playlists/fx/ck/k0/0b/RadioBridge_uk_1130_bbc_7.ram";,
                wmp: ""
        });

Is this a simple case of the file not being transcoded to MP3/AAC and
only being available in RAM.
Has the transcoding server fallen over or are some programmes just not
available in non-Realplayer formats?

So the problem appears to be 2 fold,
1. The BBC are only supplying "real media" format
2. FF can't seem to handle these files.

I can't actually tell what is looking for Realplayer, is it FF, or the
BBC Flash Media Player?
If the later then this isentirely a BBC problem and should be fixed
(although they may just wait 20 hours and fix it by removing the
programme, till it happens to something else, at which point they just
repeat).

If it is an FF problem it's exceptionally hard to fix, we have 20
hours to find the cause and get it fixed and tested before the stream
is killed, any chance the Beeb could remove this limit to allow the
problem to be investigated?

FF claims it know about Real Player as a plugin, however I don't have
'hxplay' or 'realplay' in the system path. Is the BBC player looking
for the specific binaries instead of a plugin?

I wonder what happens if you make a shell script called hxplay or realplay?

I appear to have a realplay file, but not on the system path. I'll try
adding it to the path, however it will probably require restarting FF.

Thanks
Andy