On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Ian Forrester<ian.forres...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Ok interesting debate.
>
> So first up to answer the core questions.
>
> 1. Is there an official backstage #hashtag for Twitter - Nope there isn't
> because the way I see it is that backstage isn't as such a destination. In
> the past we've used bbcbackstage for tags but if you want to do something
> like #bbcbaksge, I and others will adopt it.
>
> 2. Is there a Backstage user to follow? - Yes there's
> http://www.twitter.com/bbcbackstage. It doesn't say much because I don't want
> to spam people with random stuff which I put on my own twitter. But I'm
> willing to change that a bit and say more via there.
>
> 3. Is there a list of backstagers to follow somewhere? - Nope not yet, unless
> you follow the list and pick out people who have replied to this thread. If
> people are really interested in this, I can setup a page on
> welcomebackstage.com for people to add there twitter id.
>
> Right now Facebook/others
>
> Personally I object to facebook based on its EULA. I don't mind things
> flowing into facebook but I never want the conversation to end up there. It's
> a pain if you don't have a account and even with an account its like AOL in
> more ways that I'd first imagined. And don't get me started on the data
> portability of facebook!
> However I've been thinking about moving this list over to google groups,
> which you could argue is as bad as facebook?

Personally I don't see Google Groups any more closed than this list is
now, so wouldn't have a problem with it. When I set up some mailing
lists a while back I cautiously used Google Groups, expecting there to
be a reaction from the Google-bashers who like to jump out when you're
least expecting it. In fact I've had not a whisper.

> I also considered setting up a la.conica for bbc backstagers with the ability
> to federate on to identi.ca and
> twitter. Something like army.twit.tv

I would be 200% behind such a move, in fact anything to change the
current accepted idea that 'Twitter' is some kind of internet protocol
and not the company it actually is, it pains me every time I hear it
pushed on the TV and radio as it has been on the BBC recently.

Matthew