Realised that about 30 secs after emailing, thanks for no sarcasm.

I think I am surprised that Backstage is using a proprietary embedded
closed-source program for this. I thought it would be an open-source app.

I do not trust Google, nor Facebook, nor Microsoft, etc, etc ...... I use
them all - to the minimum that enables my work. For example my Gmail fowards
to other accounts that I hold locally. It's always a compromise between
trust, security & usability. I try to spread closed-source risks. We have
only to look at Geocities to see the long-term risks. They also ruled the
world once.

I suppose you at BBC Backstage are forced by time & money constraints to
employ closed-source, it is a shame.

I'd still like tips on any calendar/database apps that fit into Drupal as
I'm a Drupal neophyte with a real need.

Regards,
Nico Morrison