Trying to match the style/layout of a site to the expected resolution
of the device that you think is displaying it is going about it the
wrong way - this is why CSS has percentage widths for doing layouts.

Or is the question more about what you can send back to the server in
order to choose an image size?

If you want an example of something that does this quite well, visit
the iPhone/Android optimised interface for Google Reader using a user
agent switcher. This will load up images in atom feeds and then
instantly resize them in javascript to fit the page width.