On 14-Oct-2009, at 19:03, Mr I Forrester wrote:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying we're not allowed to say anything, its just not clear what we can be said. I've heard so much about Canvas over the last year, I'm not even sure whats public, whats hear-say and whats
actually secret (if anything) :)

As some one said its a hot potato.

I've just started re-reading Jonathan Zittrain's "the future of the
internet and how to stop it." - http://futureoftheinternet.org/.
If you've not read it, go and download it or buy it now. And been
thinking since watching Micromen #b00n5b92,
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n5b92) about the balance between the
pc and ce (consumer electronics).

It’s a nice quote, but has suffered the test of time quite badly! Apple did indeed release an SDK, after months of pressure[0] from developers. Subsequently, the two platforms which look the most likely to be worthy competitors to iPhone OS long term (Android and WebOS) are both comparatively open, and most other mobile platforms are also fairly open, even if the delivery mechanisms are a royal pain and the SDKs aren’t actually that good.

There’s a danger of conflating the ability to lock down a device with a need to restrict the platform on which it runs, or even that an open- ended platform requires a whole load of confusing and inappropriate stuff in the CE side in order to be useful, when really that’s a matter of good UI design.

Freeview STBs, for example, come in all shapes and sizes, and nobody has any real difficulty in choosing one, unless they have specific requirements. The openness of the platform here means that those specific requirements can usually be met in some form or another. My Freeview box is a piece of cheap tat which doesn’t do anything interesting or special, and gives me virtually no control over much at all, but the DVB-T PCI card is a different matter altogether!

M.

--
mo mcroberts
http://nevali.net

Run Leopard or Snow Leopard? Set Quick Look free with DropLook -
http://labs.jazzio.com/DropLook/