Thanks for this Tim

One thing this story illustrates is that new users react to the
"desktop" or graphical user interface, not the underlying GNU/Linux
distribution. This concept of alternate desktops is foreign to Windows
and Mac users, since those OSes come with only one desktop.

Gnome and KDE, the two predominant desktops used in GNU/Linux distros,
are not marketed as separate products; as such they are "invisible"
and to newcomers, the desktop is assumed to be part of the system,
whether "Ubuntu" or "Fedora" or "openSuSE" or "Mandriva" or
$yourfavedistrohere.

As new users assume that desktop=distro, a lousy experience through
e.g. not knowing what a  package manager is or does becomes "I tried
Linux and couldn't do X". Never mind that Microsoft has very carefully
and diligently worked on making Windows play nasty with other
systems...

I contribute to a children's education project with a kid-friendly
"desktop" based on GNU/Linux which has over a million users in thirty
countries. We may be nonprofit, but we are not "hobbyists". Mr
Cellan-Jones knows about this project, having reported on it in Rwanda
two years ago and again recently. He might be surprised to learn that
he could use Ubuntu (or indeed most distros) with the Gnome desktop,
the KDE desktop, the Xfce desktop... or Sugar, the same "desktop" he
saw on One Laptop per Child hardware in Africa.

It's interesting to note that Windows, like all traditional
"office-desktop" paradigm GUIs, is confusing to young children and
kid-friendly alternate desktops for Windows are perhaps the only
exceptions to the vanilla interface approach. (An excellent alternate
desktop for grownups from Xerox called TabWorks actually came standard
on Compaq hardware in the mid-1990s, but fizzled.)

In his comment on Popey's blog, Mr Cellan-Jones repeated a tried and
true adage of broadcast journalism: "Never work with children, animals
or technology." My co-contributors and myself manage to do 2 out of 3,
and only the openness, security, reliability, flexibility, standards
compatibility, networking, and low cost of GNU/Linux makes it
possible.

It's tempting to condemn the BBC for Mr Cellan-Jones' statements;
after all, Microsoft's illegal efforts to impose and sustain its
desktop PC monopoly are a matter of public record. And GNU/Linux's
tiny PC market share (servers and supercomputers are another story)
hides a multitude of vibrant projects. However, the BBC does get the
story right, too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8117064.stm

Sean.