On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 18:32, Christopher Woods
<chris...@infinitus.co.uk> wrote:

> Any idea why the MPEG-LA did this then? Seems to be quite an about-turn
> given everyoen was bracing for enforced commercial licensing...

A sudden outbreak of common sense?

Given the fees that were being mooted, enough people to make a
difference would switch wholesale to Theora (at the risk of hitherto
unknown patent attacks), or if Google finalises the On2 deal and opens
up VPwhatever, that.

>From a bait-and-switch perspective, ending the free programme now
would be shooting themselves in the foot. Better to wait until people
*can't* switch.

That said, five years is a long time in this game. I think they have
(from a licensing perspective) gone too far the other way and pegged
it at a point where alternatives to H.264 would start to gain traction
again.

To be honest, though, it's theoretical licensing fees: many of the
people using H.264 are only going to do it while it doesn't cost them
money. I wouldn't be surprised if some members of the LA were pushing
for a perpetual license in this context, making the money back from
hardware (which is a far safer revenue stream anyway). That would have
been more sensible all-round, as it would make most of the objections
to AVC disappear.

Is 5 years long enough for people to give up pushing alternatives? Is
it so long that people will be exploring better alternatives already?
Will it make any difference at all to Mozilla? I honestly have no
idea.

What I do know is that it's a weight off *my* mind. I was actually
starting to get quite worried about how much cash I'd have to find.

M.