On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 14:28, Gavin Johnson <gavin.john...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> The bit that worries me is .. "a pledge not ever to produce services at a
> 'more local' level than is currently the case".
>
> because
>
> (a) 'not ever' seems a bit greedy, particularly as
> (b) I can't see there has been much interest in local by commercial media

this goes back to the old 'will a commercial replacement fill the
gap?' argument, and I did allude to it to an extent in that post: my
guess is 'no, it won't', and I don't think much of that's the BBC's
fault, really. the marketplace is changing, and the commercial
environment is also changing. localised content is a very different
game to ten - or even five - years ago. given that, I'd err more
towards the BBC providing such services so that *somebody* will, even
if that's under a relatively tight remit so that feature-creep doesn't
have a negative effect upon commercial services in related areas.

M.