On 4 March 2010 11:09, Nick Reynolds-FM&T <nick.reyno...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Surely all these things could be possible on the BBC if we set it up
> right...

Why bodge a webboard to do things that a mailing list does already and
does well.

Every time I've seen a community move from a mailing list to a
webboard two things happen:-

* A token effort is made to appease the list-fans but it ends up not
working well enough to be worthwhile
* The community already there fragments, reduces in size or plain disappears.
* A new community of people around the webboard grow up thinking that
it's the only way to do things - which is a self-perpetuating spiral
of death for all future mailing lists because the list-fans were
pushed out so there's nobody left to defend how great lists are.
* The list-fans get narked because they feel they haven't been
listened to, and have been ousted from contributing to something they
feel passionate about.

Everybody loses.

Al.