On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 18:10, Kieran Kunhya <kie...@kunhya.com> wrote:

> The point is the view is that Open Source software isn't considered
> bothering about by the BBC because too few people use it and there's the
> fear of "piracy". (in spite of the fact that downloads from VoD aren't used
> by pirates because of the poor quality compared to broadcasts)

What I always find funny is that by not supporting the Open Source Community
the content providers often end up shooting themselves in the foot
with their DRM plans.

>  If this means disallowing recordings or respecting time restrictions then
> so be it.

What would be the point? It's open source so almost everyone would use
patched versions.

>  It will also lower the proportion of people downloading the files from p2p
> networks just like iPlayer itself did when it was launched.

I doubt it. A crippled (yet still open) solution wouldn't provide as good a
product as what's on the torrents or uncrippled get_iplayer or even what you
can get from a networked PVR. So most people would carrying on getting their
content the way they're currently get their content.

*
> *
> Most people aren't going to mess about with a command line app to do this.

Which is their loss really. I think if people bothered to learn the CLI and
basic scripting they'd find that would have a much easier and more
satisfying computing experience all round.