On 18 May 2011, at 14:23, Robert Binney wrote:

> I have been told that "no sailors listen to the Shipping Forecast" - can this
> be true?

Well - if you have the money (and enough battery power and ample of pricey
thermal paper) - you get it off your navtex(1) or from the met-office feed of
immarsat(2).  But I've found myself in a situation more than once where knowing
that you could be having _reliable_ warnings with just a simple battery & radio
independent of it all was very reassuring.

Dw.

1:
http://www.frisnit.com/cgi-bin/navtex/view.cgi?NAVAREA=1&action=browse&TYPE=24H
- the MET ones.