I’m trying to backup a Linux server over the Internet using Rsync with SSH.

I have created the private/public key pair on the backuppc server and copied the key to the Linux client computer with:

scp /var/www/.ssh/id_dsa.pub XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/root/.ssh/authorized_keys2

[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:

id_dsa.pub 100% 606 0.0KB/s 00:00

Now I test the login:

ssh -l root XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX whoami

I can authenticate fine but eventually I should get a reply of “root” with no password required, but this is not the case. It just continues to ask for a password no matter what.

I think that normally after the first login the second time usually does not require a login password as the BackupPC server is added to the known hosts list with an RSA key right?

What should I look for to get to the bottom of this?

If I run the backup in this state I get an error returned that states:

2005-08-13 13:00:09 full backup started for directory /home
2005-08-13 13:00:11 Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
2005-08-13 13:00:17 Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

Thanks for any assistance.

Ed