On Tuesday 20 September 2005 20:38, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 08:19, Olivier LAHAYE wrote:
> > Would it be possible to store rdiffs of the file instead of the whole
> > file.
> >
> > I mean:
> > In the pool/cpool directory, instead of naming the file by its md5 sum, a
> > directory with that name could be created and the file would be named cur
> > and rdiffs would be named 0 1 2 3 4 ....
>
> This is a good idea, but it should really follow the same storage
> conventions as everything else. That is, the name with the md5 sum
> should go in cpool where contents don't really matter and the name
> is used to match duplicates, and some name convention should be used
> for hardlinks in the per-pc directories to match up with the
> corresponding originals. Otherwise consider what happens when you make
> the same large change to files on dozens of machines.
Of course you're perfectly right. As I said below, it's far more complicated
than it sounds, but it has been done by Altiris and thus, there is at least
one solution :-)
What's cool here, is that people like you listen to ideas and points out pro
and cons, and I like that very much :-) thus eventhough I don't know how to
code, I can contribute at least some ideas that have a real chance to be
listen to :-)

> > Of course it is easier to say than to code, and for sure, there are some
> > cases that I've surely missed. More over, this feature would be mainly
> > usefull for PST like files and as BackupPCd is not yet ready (thus
> > openned files are not backupable), this feature is not a priority, but
> > IMHO, in the not so long term, this wouls be a wonderfull feature.
> > (Altiris has this feature).
>
> I think you would also want some options to control using this mode. It
> could be a big win on large databases that have small changes every
> day, but probably not worth the trouble in other cases where a changed
> file will remain the same in subsequent runs.
Totaly agree. Eventualy, depending on the fact that the algorithm used is time
consuming or not, a filter could be used to apply this feature only to
certain files (use this only on .pst and mysql fiules for example).

--
        Olivier LAHAYE
        Motorola labs IT manager