BTW:

This was my output... no Remote-user. On the commandline it works, at the
browser it doesn't.

server-01:/usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin# /usr/bin/perl test.cgi
content-type: text/plain

Real user id: 0
Effective user id: 110
Real Group id: 0 0
Effective Group id: 0 0

REMOTE_USER:
server-01:/usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin# su backuppc
server-01:/usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin$ /usr/bin/perl test.cgi
content-type: text/plain

Real user id: 110
Effective user id: 110
Real Group id: 105 105