Just posting this for the archives for some lost soul like myself ;-),
getting the same error...one more thing to check-up on, if you are a
newbie.

On rpm installlations, base installations of softwares are compiled with
support of various softwares, whereas those softwares are installed
seperately. In most cases however, the plugins (mostly .so modules in
case of apache) or the bridging software, has to be installed
seperately.

In my case, the perl-suidperl rpm itself was not installed on the
machine I was trying to install BackupPC on. I searched for sperl on the
hdd, found it and thought it was installed for apache also...apparently
that was not the case.

yum install perl-suidperl fixed the problem & I was able to run the cgi-
script.

This solution will apply in a host of other cases too, especially in rpm
installs.

Guus...thanks for all your help again.

With best regards.
Sanjay.