On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 11:58, Tom Trelvik wrote:

> On 11/28/05, Les Stott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > if your using rsyncd then under windows xp is has to run as a service
> > and be started. Verify that it is with the following at a command prompt...
>
> Well, an rsync client definitely *can* spawn an rsync daemon on the
> remote machine.  I thought BackupPC took advantage of that
> functionality, but I may have been mistaken on that point.  From the
> rsync man page (and I feel foolish again, because this answers one of
> my earlier questions):
>
>       Finally, it is possible to use a remote-shell transport  to  contact  a
>       remote  host  and then to spawn a single-use rsync daemon.  This allows
>       the use of some of the daemon features (such as named modules)  without
>       having  to  run  a  daemon as a service.
>
> Can BackupPC use rsyncd like that, so I don't have to run rsyncd on
> the laptop on untrusted networks?

If you are running sshd as a service, you might use the
$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} option to start rsyncd on demand. Also, I
think directions were posted to this list some time ago showing
how to configure rsyncd to only accept connections on 127.0.0.1
and use ssh port-forwarding to reach it.  That works around the
problem of cygwin's rsync not working when executed by sshd.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]