Sorry for responding so late. I finally got around to doing wht you
suggested, and thought it was worth sending it to the mailing list, if only
for the record.

> > Basically, /usr/bin/perl, /usr/bin/perl5.8.X, and /usr/bin/suidperl are
all
> > hardlinks to the same thing, and /usr/bin/sperl5.8.X is a different
> > executable, the one whose suid bit should be changed if necessary,
instead
> > of /usr/bin/suidperl.

> So if you try to run it with perl, does it end up running sperl5.8.x and
> working?

Yes, it works!

Setup:
-- SuSE 9.3, BackupPC 2.1.0 with patch 1.
-- Both the daemon (/opt/backuppc/bin/BackupPC) and the CGI script
(/srv/www/cgi-bin/backuppc/BackupPC_Admin) have plain perl in their
she-bang lines, and are owned by the backuppc user.
-- The CGI script is set suid to the Backuppc user, and none of the scripts
in /opt/backuppc/bin/, included the daemon, are (I used to have that to
make things work).

Tests:
-- Without doing anything, the CGI doesn't work, but the daemon does.
-- If I chmod u+s /usr/bin/suidperl (and nothing else), the CGI script
works, but the daemon doesn't
-- If I chmod u+s /usr/bin/sperl5.8.6 (and nothing else), both the CGI
script and the daemon work.

Bernardo Rechea