On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 12:30, Marty wrote:

> That brings up another question for anyone here -- does cp -al work
> (within the filesystem) on the pool, or on the cpool, or is it also
> prohibitively time-consuming?  If it works (and you don't run out of
> inodes) then it seems you could use it to take an snapshot for the
> above scripts to work from, to minimize backuppc server downtime.

You'd need -aH to do hardlinks, but it doesn't really help you
to have copied the data under the pooled names anyway.  When
you rsync the pc directories it will copy all the data under
the new name since it has no way to connect that to the pooled
name without the time/memory-intensive step of including the
pool in the rsync run.

There is a linux program called 'hardlink' that will do a
brute-force matchup of indentical files under the specified
directories  and convert to hardlinks.  I'm not sure how
fast it is but I'd expect it to be slower than something
that knows the backuppc name conventions.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]