I'm currently backing up a Windows machine using rsyncd across a WAN
(VPN over T1s). The files I'm backing up are large, but they are
fairly compressible. Being able to compress the data across the wire
would speed up backups and reduce bandwidth utilization by at least
2x.

Because backuppc doesn't support rsyncd compression, the other
alternatives I see are to figure out a way to precompress the files
before backup, or perhaps to setup a ssh server on the Windows machine
and backup that way.

Anyone have any other ideas?

-Dave