On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:45:29AM -0800, Ward... James Ward wrote:
> Remote[1]: rsync: opendir "/dev/fd/3" failed: Bad file descriptor (9)
> Xfer PIDs are now 30450,30452
>
> This is the initial backup.  That's not trying to back up a non-existent
> floppy, is it?

FD(4)                    BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                    FD(4)

NAME
     fd, stdin, stdout, stderr -- file descriptor files

DESCRIPTION
     The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can
     be accessed through the file system.

Looks like it's some bsd-ism or osx-ism for file descriptors.  I'd suggest
excluding /dev/fd* from your backups.

my understanding is that the rsync included with OS X has problems.
be aware that standard rsync and the os X rsync do not support
resource forks.  If you want to use rsync, get a version that is known
to work ;)

there are at least two versions of rsync out there specifically built
for OSX.
   http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html
   http://www.quesera.com/reynhout/misc/rsync+hfsmode/

I know that there's a guy here on the list who does lots of macs with
backuppc - look through the list archives.  I believe he uses a tar
variant called "xtar".

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile