On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 19:25, Lachlan Simpson wrote:

> re those people that use Removable and or External HDs for their backuppc
> setups, was
> their any brand in particular that tickled - and should I be looking for a
> certain file
> system format on the HD?

You can reformat to match what you want.

> I'm looking for a way to make the backups I do more portable - as both
> computers are in
> the same office, I'd like to make sure I have offsite backups (via
> removable/portable HD)
> and my current backup-to-tape (NovaBackup) is about to be retired because it
> is brain
> dead.

If you don't restore often, you can simply swap the disk
holding the archive frequently and let the next run catch
up.  If you always want a current copy on line plus a
recent version off-site, you need a way to do an image
copy of the working disk, either with raid mirroring or
unmounting the archive partition while you copy it with
dd to the external drive.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]