Le vendredi 10 Février 2006 09:06, zorg a écrit :
> sorry for my question
> but I thought that is was not possible to put the store the pool of data
> (the data that are save) on a nfs share because of hard link
> [...]

hi,

i have looked few month ago about the trouble of NFS disk and hardlinking
files on it.

i don't have the final answer but my guess is :

look in the RFC http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1813.txt?number=1813 then you can
see :
   Because the NFS version 3 protocol is designed to be
   operating-system independent, it does not necessarily match the
   semantics of any existing system. Server implementations are
   expected to make a best effort at supporting the protocol.  If a
   server cannot support a particular protocol procedure, it may
   return the error, NFS3ERR_NOTSUP, that indicates that the
   operation is not supported.  For example, many operating systems
   do not support the notion of a hard link. A server that cannot
   support hard links should return NFS3ERR_NOTSUP in response to a
   LINK request. FSINFO describes the most commonly unsupported
   procedures in the properties bit map.  Alternatively, a server
   may not natively support a given operation, but can emulate it
   in the NFS version 3 protocol implementation to provide greater
   functionality.

so the first step in the answer is :
The server OS does not handle hardlink (due to OS or physical partition disk)
the NFS server answer reject the hardlinking operation.

My guess in your case is that your snap 2200 is running on windows and does
not support the feature.

i have heard about SFU from Redmonds to solve this kind of trouble, using SFU
you can do some NFS share on windows machine using ntfs file system and the
nfs share support hard link but i have never use them and am not sur this way
is usable on your appliance.

(http://www.softpanorama.org/Unixification/SFU/index.shtml)

but am sure that using hardlink on NFS disk is possible and is working (minus
some bad implementations) since version 2.

so at the epoq i decided to use iscsi and all is working perfectly.

mna.