Thanks a lot for that tip, Dan. I'll try with -v and see what happens.

                      Dan Pritts

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      edu>                     cc:
backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
                                               bcc:

                      02/12/2006 09:42         Subject:  Re: [BackupPC-users]
Can't fork at [...]/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line
                      PM                        1168

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:22:51PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /opt/local/BackupPC/bin/preDump.sh burdata01lx
> /corpus_snapshot
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root burdata01lx /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group --devices --links --times
> --block-size=2048 --recursive . /corpus_snapshot/
> Xfer PIDs are now 16351
> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer

> Has anybody encountered this before? All "clients" are aliased to the
same
> host, and this is the only one that fails in that way, so I don't think
> it's an SSH error, as suggested in one post in January (but feel free to
> prove me wrong).

could be an ssh error.  start sshd on the backup client with "sshd -d"
to see what's happening from the ssh server's perspective, and/or add "-v"
your ssh command line.  it'll show you what's going on.

> I see a high memory usage on the client at the time the backup dies. I
> added a bunch of files recently to that partition. Could this be related
> the usual rsync memory usage issues with large numbers of files? All
other

probably.  watch the rsync memory usage on the client with "top"

danno