All,

Just looking to see if my backup speeds are in the right range or if they are a
little slow.

My setup is as follows:

1 Linux box running Mandriva 2006.  This is my backuppc server and I am backing
up several partitions on this box.
Total backup size is around 65GB for a full backup.  The incrementals are about
the same size too, which surprises me.

1 Windows box running Win XP.  The Linux box is running samba and backsup the
windows box via samba.  A full backup is
around 40GB with the incremental being around 3 GB.

The following is what is being reported as the MB/sec

Windows: around 5 MB/s
Linux:   Between 9.5 to 10.8 MB/s

Both these boxes are on the same LAN and are both directly connected to my
router.  The Ethernet cards are 10/100.  I
would have hoped for a faster throughput but perhaps there is a good reason for
this?  At least on the Linux box
(since there should be no network overhead) I'm very surprised by the speed.
The linux box is being backed up using
tar.

So, are these speeds normal are do I have the ability to get better throughput?

Also, why would the incremental backups on my Linux box be roughly the same
size as the full backup?  Alot of the
files are music and videos and really don't change.  It's taking around 90
minutes for a full or incremental backup.

The only other information I can add is as follows:  The drives on the Linux
machine are SATA drives and on the
windows box I have one SATA drive and one IDE drive.

Just noticed something in the Xfer log for the Linux box which may explain why
it's doing such a large backup for the
incremental backups:

Running: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/gtar -c -v -f - -C /var --totals
--newer=2006-02-14\ 11:14:20 .
Xfer PIDs are now 28504,28503
/bin/gtar: Substituting 1901-12-13 15:45:52 for unknown date format
`2006-02-14\\ 11:14:20'

Looks like there is a problem with the date format and it substituting in a
date from over 100 years ago.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.