On 3/9/06, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 14:40, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > it just hovers at about 300kb/s.... I would expect that when the file
> > > listing is sent, for there to be a heavy load on the network at that
> > > time, and then some heavy cpu work, and then more load on the network
> > > as it hits files that
> > > needs to backup.....
>
> rsync is surprisingly inefficient at file transfers. It's often several
> times slower than even tar over ssh. try moving a big (several times larger
> than RAM) over the network, using rsync, tar over ssh, and tar over netcat.
> rsync will be by far the slowest.

I am doing some backups across the WAN from backuppc to a Windows
machine using rsyncd, and also find that our backup rate seems to
hover just over 300kb/s. Given that I am backing decent number of
large files, it is taking anywhere from 700-1000 minutes to do a full
backup! I've tested bandwidth between the 2 networks and other tools
are able to easily saturate the network at 1500kb/s+ (T1 speed). CPU
utilization isn't an issue at all in my case, it is next to 0 on both
the backuppc machine and the Windows machine.

So the question is: why is rsyncd so slow at sending the data? I can
try the --whole-file option as someone else suggested, but I don't see
how it would help as the files being backed up are typically new files
so they should be sent whole anyway, right?

-Dave