David Brown wrote:

> I think the solution is to change backuppc to not
>
>create multiple trees, but to store the filesystem tree in some kind of
>database, and just store the files themselves in the pool.  Database
>engines are optimized to be able to handle multiple indexing into the data,
>whereas filesystems are not (and aren't likely to be, either).
>
>As far as implementation of this pool-only storage, it is important to
>create the file in the proper directory first, which means the has must be
>known before it can be written.  Of course, if there is a database, there
>is no reason to make the filenames part of the hash, and not just
>sequential integers, using a unique key in the database table.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the directory structure of the
(compressed) files and keep hash and attributes in the DB?  After all,
this is how the data are received and how they will be accessed  during
a restore.

Here I  show my heritage. I have been using "dirvish" for 2 years before
switching to backuppc.  I switched to backuppc because of the build in
file compression and, more importantly the dublication of renamed files
on the backup by dirvish.   However, I never had performance problems
even though dirvish creates a lot of hard link just like backuppc

Speedwise, backuppc really sucks compared to dirvish. With dirvish I has
able to backup 1.4 TB in 30 minutes.  Most of the time was spend by
rsync collecting and transmitting the file lists.  Now a full backups
take almost a  day, even if the amount of new data is negligible
(checksum caching enabled).

... Matt