- xtar on OS X works for preserving resource forks,
but sometimes has issues with giving files the
directory attribute in BackupPC.

I think this has been fixed, Craig would know for sure.

- tar on OS X may work(?) or is expected to work in
the near future with BackupPC. Status uncertain... has
this changed?

Tar on OSX10.4 and later supports resource forks. That said, I do not know how it works with BackupPC which is why I have continued to use xtar (also because I have a mix 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 client base).

- hfstar has been reported to work, but I have read
reports of problems
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10490843)

Never tried it.  Xtar just works.

- It does not sound like Rsync works at all? What
about Rsyncd?

Rsync and its various perturbations do not work as the resource forks get dropped. The rsyncs that do support resource forks only support them if you have a Mac client and server (e.g. RsyncX). The minute you use a linux server it looses the resource forks.

Feel free to contact me direct. I have one of the largest production BackupPC installation for Mac clients around.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 206-501-9803