On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:09:06 -0800
Craig Barratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Laurent Mazet writes:
>
> > To summarize, for a Windows host:
> >
> > - rsync over ssh doesn't work.
>
> Yes, but I haven't tested it recently.

Unfortunately, I've tried last week with copSSH 1.3.9  and  cwRsync 2.0.6 from
http://www.itefix.no without any success

> > - rsyncd transfers only diff but you need to connect with a clear password.
>
> Rsyncd doesn't send a clear password over the network.  It uses
> a digest-based challenge/response.

At least you need you need to store the password in a plain text

> > - tar over ssh transfers every thing.
>
> Yes, for a full.
>
> > - smb transfers every thing and you need to connect with a clear password.
>
> I'm not sure whether smb sends clear passwords over the network.

I thing your right. It might depend on a boolean (encrypt passwords) in samba
config. But you need to store it in an a plain text and it also gives a full
login access. For security reason, I thing that the worst method.

    Laurent