Andreas Vögele wrote:
Ryan Jewell wrote:

To benefit from rsync I'm also thinking about just sending the backuppc
data in /var/lib/backuppc.

Copying /var/lib/backuppc with rsync will probably not work since rsync requires a lot of memory when copying hard links.

I use the logical volume manager to create a snapshot of the file system mounted on /var/lib/backuppc. Then the file system snapshot is copied with dd. Unfortunately, copying data with dd means that the whole file system must be copied every time the cron job is run.
Andreas,
I wonder if you could rsync the snapshot partition to a remote partition of the same size, rather than using dd? I haven't tried this myself, just thinking out loud. My method of offsite backup is that I have a script that stops backuppc, unmounts the backuppc data partition, dumps the partition to tape, remounts, and restarts. I had problems scripting snapshots, so I gave up on that method.

Thanks,

Dale